Přejít na obsah

A watch for my son - what should I get?

milan_2009

Doporučené příspěvky

Hi guys,

My son is about to start his first real job in a law office and I want to get him a watch.

Which brand and what kind of a watch should I get him?

I've browsed so many websites and my choice goes to these two watches.

http://www.fhs.hk/Archives/audemars_montoya_en.htm

http://www.globalwatchmarket.com/Time+of+S...pe/51872.aspx?1

But if you guys have any other sugeestions that'd be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Odkaz ke komentáři
Sdílet na ostatní stránky

Hi guys,

My son is about to start his first real job in a law office and I want to get him a watch.

Which brand and what kind of a watch should I get him?

I've browsed so many websites and my choice goes to these two watches.

http://www.fhs.hk/Archives/audemars_montoya_en.htm

http://www.globalwatchmarket.com/Time+of+S...pe/51872.aspx?1

But if you guys have any other sugeestions that'd be really appreciated.

Thanks.

I think that watches like Patek, Piguet or Rolex are not a good choice for job life start ... ;) It could be counterproductive to your image ... B)

Odkaz ke komentáři

Dear Milan,

I agree with the writer before me. I understand that you are proud of your son and want to give him a quality watch , but as a first job , something like a Patek ,AP or Rolex does send the wrong message.

In my opinion , if you want to buy a watch which makes a statement with quality and reliability, without being over the top , my advice is to get him an Omega dress watch.

The other point is that a watch is a very personal thing , something like buying perfume , and I would not choose one for someone else unless I knew they liked it first.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Micky

Odkaz ke komentáři

Here I would go on disagreeing. You are usually getting ONE watch from your father (I did not get any) and it is something that should stand the test of time and be given to his son when the time comes. We here have members, who have received watches for their secondary school achievments, getting a law degree is something else. So depending on the pocket of the buyer I would rather go for something more exquisite. But the decission lies on Milan.

Odkaz ke komentáři

To start in an office in a junior role and have something better than the boss would be a mistake. Omega is quality without saying "Hey .Look at me!" I would say , be a little discreet.

Odkaz ke komentáři

To start in an office in a junior role and have something better than the boss would be a mistake. Omega is quality without saying "Hey .Look at me!" I would say , be a little discreet.

Odkaz ke komentáři

Exactly (as Mickey has written). I would also go for an Omega (e.g. De Ville), or IWC Portofino or something like that. Something not too showy.

But if you still want something special, than look at this:

Rolex Cellini Danaos

post-812-1230902186.jpg

Odkaz ke komentáři

Well, I agree but Omega is too... well-known :(

What about Ebel? Or Gerald Genta or Universal Geneve? Armand Nicolet?

Those are brands producing good pieces in the same category as Omega (or a bit higher maybe...) but are not so known and offers good design for dress watches but still it's something much more original than Omega, Rolex, ...

RSO.M.10.004.CN.BA.jpg

ebel.jpg

actu_56.jpg

ArmandNicolet-L07.jpg

Odkaz ke komentáři

Well, I agree but Omega is too... well-known :(

But perhaps, that's exatly what some people want. The brands that you have mentioned are very good and nice but they are rather for "connoisseurs." I think that most people want their watches being recognized by others. Wearing a watch is a sort of statement for them: Look, what I can afford...

Odkaz ke komentáři

Buy something with a gold case on a dark leather strap, preferably with a simple design. Patek Philippe is an acceptable brand.

Some people tell you that Omega is the one, specially the Planet Ocean model is very popular here, but it is a watch for a team building trip at the weekend.

However, if you see what watches high reputable lawyers, people from the IMF/WB or important governments wear, it is as described above. These guys are not necessarily clever, but all are rich and know indeed what the watch means.

Moreover, it shall be a present for the rest of his life. If you compromise and buy a cheaper piece your son will tend to buy a better one after some months or years and subsequently will not wear your watch. That is not what you probably want.

There is a good chance that the watch you buy will be better and more expensive than those of senior lawyers in the firm, and perhaps a piece they will never own, but... who cares.

Yes, and let us know the result. Cheers.

Odkaz ke komentáři

(1) ..................... and buy a cheaper piece your son will tend to buy a better one after some months or years and subsequently will not wear your watch. ......

(2).......... There is a good chance that the watch you buy will be better and more expensive than those of senior lawyers in the firm, and perhaps a piece they will never own, but... who cares.

Yes, and let us know the result. Cheers.

Just my opinion:

(1) And you might steal from him the passion for watches, the obsession to be selecting one, the joy to select one finally and impulsively in a shop and put it on his wrist immediately and marveleing it on his wrist every ten seconds on the way home, etc. etc.

(2) Should a senior lawyer know and recognize, I´d rather not to tease a cobra by a bare foot to make someone and somehow uneasy in the office???

As I said, it´s just my own view.

Who knows what works in the real life????

Odkaz ke komentáři

• po měsíci...

Another possibility in my opinion, the beautiful Jaeger - LeCoultre Master Control in the steel version.

It is possibly a bit late now as you have probably bought something for your son by now.

Anyway I would , like others I am sure like to know what you finally pick/have picked for him.

Kind regards

Micky

Odkaz ke komentáři

• Vytvořit...